Well ever since I lost my facebook profile (the one where I had 4000 people) , random profiles of me popped up either using my full name or some other name.
So I have decided to blog about how to spot a fake profile on facebook so that you can be aware of whether to accept that `new friend request’ from someone that you `think’ you may know.
1) Look for status updates,wall posts and comments.If the user hasn’t updated a status for quite a long time and hasn’t been involved in any wall posting or commenting of other statuses,it means that the profile is likely to be fake.
2) Look at the recent activities.If it is that the user has just been adding randomers and making new friends,and that there are no pages liked or groups joined,it suggests that the user is determined in just adding people and thus the profile is fake.
3) Look for photos in the profile.If there is only one photo of the individual in the whole profile it makes it quite clear that the account is fake.
4) Check the info.If found that there is no ideal links given regarding school or education institutions or workplace and that the user is looking for dating and interested in both men and women,it shows signs of fakeness.
5) Check the birthdate.
Birth dates like 1/1/XX…..or……31/12/XX are common between fake accounts as it is quite unique and easy to type in.
6) Look out for recent wall posts,if you see many people asking…’THANKS FOR THE ADD….DO I KNOW YOU’……and yet the posts remains unanswered…it is bound to be a fake one.
7) If you are quite certain about the profile’s fakeness,and want to be absolutely sure, try browsing google for some random profile pictues. Fake profile pictures are usually selected from google and while browsing through it,you might as well come upon the picture the user chose for the fake account.
8) Check out the friend list.
If found that maximum of the friends are of the opposite gender,it can be assumed that the profile is used either for fun or for random dating.
Lastly, if you do think that the profile is fake , 1) ignore the new friend request
2) report it immediately to facebook as `fake’ to get it shutdown